Marcus's Words of Wisdom: What it means to be a n00b

Hello, all. I am here to share my experiences and thoughts in the hopes that it will change this server for the better.

Let me start off by introducing my level 13 alt: King Stadler. I created him to lead a clan, which failed miserably. He, however, turned out to be a wonderful character to play with when Marcus got too stressful. 4g to repair my belt, 17 silver for 10 glyphs...it was much easier playing with Stadler. But there is a more fundamental reason why I like the lower brackets: The people.

The low levels (mostly) have the innocence of children (no offense lol). They know little about the game, and haven't yet condensed into Team Elitists or Team AS or IL or whatever. There's no crazy metagame, like:

"ZOMG I wanna do HOP but I can't do it without compromising my heroism to valor to experience ratio while moving into a new bracket with insufficient Corsair reputation and also I need to manage this clan zomg!!!"

Yeah. This bracket here, 9-15, is pure fun. And I realized this during yesterday's DOT. I was able to form friendships with my opponents, and my faction (sadar) was united under a single cause for once: win DOT. I had fun, calling people to help me when 3 Vaalorians jumped me and then beating the magma bombs out of them. I had fun, playing with new people. I had fun, seeing who got top damage. In higher brackets, you see the same people over and over again, and you see their clan tag. Chances are, you see someone you fight and notice they are in the "Death Blade" clan (made up) and, because of some previous conflict, you think: "Damn, I hate this guy. Lemme do something mean." Because in the higher brackets, almost everyone is associated with a clan.

What I'm getting at is this: There's no sense of obligation in the lower brackets. If a n00b (I use the term liberally, some noobs are very good) joins a clan, they think "Sweet! a clan! Ima help out!" But in the higher levels, clans are a source of drama an strife because people don't know how to enjoy a game. Clans are the reason the game can be fun, but also why we higher levels feel overwhelmed. As a lv 29, I need to consider my every move, and how it affects me, others, and my clan. I love AS, don't get me wrong, because I can have fun with it. As a lv 13 witcher, I rip out the throats of buruls on a daily basis and it is 100% FUN.

When someone crits me and I die with 5 pots, I get pissed, swear at them in pm (jk), and then promise to kill them in AOH next time. I NEVER get angry about it because it is a GAME. If you can get angry because of clan related things, perhaps you should quit the game. I mean it. If you can't have fun, quit. Because, at the heart of it, we come here to have fun. And so, I implore you level 50s and clan leaders and what not, for one day, escape the drama and bs and find your inner noob: where nothing matters but how many pigs you kill. Forge friendships, do not make enemies. Have fun with the game.

And with that, I say,

Goodbye, noobs. Go forth and have as much fun as possible. ">
Comments
This is a lower character. Because you're right. It's fun to beat things up, call for help, etc...with no fear of repercussion. I kept jumping in aoh with this same person over and over for hours. We had fun just seeing who would win with or against each other..it was great. This one is getting up there, so I imagine, I may make another. I agree though, the lower levels are so much more fun
bump
Chicken Tenders
pumpkin pie
Being a noob myself. I hope to stay true to why I started playing DE. Having fun and kicking a**. Well, wish me luck.">
I'm glad you've finally admitted to being a noob.
You need to log in or register before leaving a comment.