Entertainment value?

This is a game, right? It therefore falls under the general category of entertainment - something that we all all probably have a limited budget, and limited time for...

I have no issue with contributing time and money in the name of entertainment, even accepting that the daily grind for reputation, essences etc is a part of this entertainment (as with almost any MMO / RPG nowadays). I can accept this as the processes for the grind are interactive and offer some chance of greater reward.

Having just reached level 50, island protector quests have become available, and I have completed a couple. These took about 1 hour in total, and involved ~15 minutes of interactive action (fighting mobs), and 40+ minutes of staring at a picture of a boat (which would be longer if I encountered pirates). This is NOT entertainment!

I would suggest that this mechanic of sailing round the islands is quite possibly detrimental to your long term player retention.
Comments
Upgrading boats and their equipment can and will increase their sailing speed.
Thanks Ihit - I was aware of that, but you have missed the point completely. Whether it is 40 minutes, 20, or 5 - staring at a picture of a boat is not entertaining.

It strikes me as being a bad game mechanic in a very competitive market.
Answindar,

That's why we added "the mini-games" you can play while sailing. And by your logic Tournament of Honor, Sea Battle, Vortex and other battlegrounds should start every few minutes because hey waiting is bad!
Ihit,
">
lolol, burnnn
Haha
umm... I think the complaint here is that when you are going to islands, you can't do the majority of the things you would to pass the time.

The only things you can really do is AH, talk, or those games of chance on the ship...

When in battleground ques you can do normal trades, fight mobs, do quests, you just have to make sure you aren't doing anything when the que timer stops. you don't have that option while on the ship.

This makes a person more likely to go afk and leave the game or computer while sailing on the ship, which means people are going elsewhere to be entertained.
Surturs Fire,

Already expected someone will mention quests/fighting, however i'd like to say it's minority of things you can't do do or 50/50. Aswindar being level 50 i doubt he's doing any "normal" quests/monsters anyway as we know people do like to to avoid unnecessary experience.
I love to do quest and the experience. The storytelling of the game intrigue me. I re roll every 4-6 months just for the quest cause DE add more characters to the game and add/alter storytelling. That is whats wrong with people now a days. Want to be entertained 24 hours a day. I have kids and a wife so a little bit of down time is MUCH appreciated.
Trolling slow ship down way too much..
Then again, no need to buy reals while stare at a ship for 2 - 4 hours.
Thanks DE you save me money this way
NeverwinTrolling slow ship down way too much.

It gets better at 3k clan rep when you'll be able to pay 1g to skip the Torlings. Consider it motivation to get there
how about adding a fishing pole. so we can try and catch certain fish. but of course with a cost
You need to log in or register before leaving a comment.